Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Australian Cafe Culture

I have inadvertently become a bit of an expert on Australian cafe culture.

Each time I front up to an Australian cafe - regardless of the city that I find myself in - it is half full of old white people who are being served by young beautiful and mainly white people. Go figure.

I inhabit these cafes because they are usually the only places where I can find a hot-spot when I am on the road. And my day job and technology stack - often depends on access to the internet. Don't even ask.

I really don't know why the other old people are there - but I see quite a few of them leafing through the Murdoch dailies. It must be a terrible thing being so bored that you have to read that trash. Sheep I suppose.

And I don't know why the young people are there either. Shouldn't they be at University? Or perhaps they are working at the cafe in order to fund their way through the local University. I sure hope so.

But the thing that is very obvious about these people is that neither the old nor the young people want to be there.

The old people would rather be doing something else - but they have been pushed off into retirement - because they aren't valued citizens anymore. What a fate - destined to spend your remaining days reading Murdoch trash at the local cafe. I guess in the afternoons they go down to the local pokies venue.

And clearly the young people would rather be doing something else. I only know that because of their attitude to their job. It's sad but true that the *art* of customer service is missing in action in our cafe's.

The *muppets* who own these cafe's are so greedy that they can't even be bothered to train their staff in how to deal with people or how to serve them food and coffee.

*Money* versus *Customer satisfaction* - it's a tough one Virginia.

No comments: