Sunday, July 3, 2011

Never let the facts...

For those who are tuned in, politics in the USA has become amazingly bad and very ugly. And politics here are not far behind. I am pretty sure that we will catch up soon.

In the US all politics is to the right. The Democrats are on the right, the Republicans are on the far right and the Tea Party are on the extreme right. And then we have the Ayn Randians. The place is very unbalanced. And racist.

In the US the faux debate is around economics but that is just a smokescreen for race. The wingnuts who are to the right of the Democrats are annoyed that a black man is in the white house. They don't have a plan of their own but in between watching Fox News and throwing back a Bud or three - they are revolting. I could go on but I don't want any more misspelt death threats ;-)

Never mind that the last Republican white man to occupy the white house was just another wingnut - it appears as though a large number of Americans would still prefer him to a reasonably competent black man.

The debate over there seems dominated by three things - lies, lies and more lies. And a substantial amount of ignorance. OK that is four things.

Which is why the place is heading down the gurgler at a furious pace.

Which brings me back to our own little political adventures. Those of you who watch my blog will know that I am often railing against the dingbat right. The "policy free and populist" right that Mr Abbott is cheerleader of.

He was at it again this weekend over there in my hometown telling all and sundry that a carbon tax would decimate the place - doing his usual "scare the bogans" performance. Just like he did up the road a few months ago.

Of course what he probably isn't aware of is that the Liberal *base* and even large numbers in his own party are sick of his lies. They understand the "science and economics" around climate change - they know a carbon tax is necessary - and they just want to get on with it.

He looks to me like a dead man walking.

PS : And you dear reader would acknowledge that I write about the "right wing" quite a bit. Well today one of the Coalition rusted on's asked me what it was. "I don't know what a right wing is but I am a strong coalition supporter he said". Hmmm.

No comments: