Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Joys of the $5 Schnitzel

I know that in the superior world of Gen Y - people like me are irrelevant old coots.

Especially when I wander into *their* hospitality establishment during the day, plonk myself down, open up my laptop and start to do some work.

Now that is bad enough but when I also expect a little bit of service in said establishment and politely ask for their head banging music to be turned down a notch or two that really is beyond the pale.

Clearly these establishments exist only for the gratification of said Gen Y - any idea that they would deliver some actual service and/or offer up an experience that a customer would appreciate or want is just simply fanciful.

Now I only mention this because I am in an Australian city for a few days where the entire Gen Y population seem to be ensconced in hospitality. I was going to use the word *work* instead of *ensconced* but that is clearly not the case.

And the reason they are there is because there are few jobs for them in the real world. It's sad that there seems to be an entire generation of Australian's growing up who have little prospect of developing skills outside of the rarefied atmosphere of their family owned hospitality business.

Was it lucky for them that Dad bought a pub 20 years ago - or unlucky?

And please don't get me started on the joys of the $5 schnitzel.

No comments: