Monday, February 23, 2009

A Pissant Little Town

Here is the main content of a presentation that I gave to a group of colleagues at lunch today – it generated raucous laughter - but I didn’t think it was all that funny ;-)

* About two years ago I moved to a country town which is masquerading as a capital city – I moved there for family reasons.

* After I arrived, I registered with all the local recruitment agencies and met regularly with their staff – looking for work and building relationships.

* I applied for many jobs – but was mostly ignored – over 100 serious applications – with only 2 interviews and few returned calls.

* That’s when I realized that I wasn’t succeeding because I wasn’t a part of the local *club*.

* Which is made up of a small group of recruiters and candidates – all looking out for each other – while keeping outsiders away and participating in a slow game of musical chairs.

* Call me dumb – but it all became obvious when I accidentally discovered the short list for a job that I was well qualified for – and didn’t get an interview.

* They were grooming a couple of insiders who are members of the *club*.

* I hate to call it a conspiracy – this club is more like a group of scared rabbits caught in the headlights of a large trainwreck on it’s way into town.

* A “pissant little town” – according to local football coach Aurelio Vidmar.

No comments: