Sunday, March 14, 2010

What we need here is a paradigm shift

Next weekend we have elections in two states - South Australia and Tasmania - both have long term Labor governments which are trying very hard to be re-elected. These state politicians like pulling the levers - while looking after themselves and their mates.

Who knows what the outcome will be - but in both cases the existing Labor governments are on the nose and the Liberal oppositions are closing in. But of course the Liberals were in power last time and they have lots of baggage and very very ordinary track records. For most thinking voters this is Hobson’s choice. That might explain the large numbers of single issue candidates who have nominated.

There is a real possibility of a hung parliament in both states - and as far as I am concerned that won't be a bad thing. Actually it will be a good thing and might even mean that the greens and the independents will get a say in running these states. Yea - democracy at work. At the very least it will stop the BS that happens post election and for four years thereafter - where the winning team basically thumbs it's nose at the people of the state and helps itself to the spoils via the state Treasury.

As I have said many times before - "our state governments are a waste of space - and they should be abolished".

Let me say it again - "our state governments are a waste of space - and they should be abolished".

They add little or no value and are really just about providing status and employment for a bunch of lightweight political hacks - who have no imagination, no ideas, no experience and who can't get a real job.

And just to explain - I am a South Australian - I was born there. And I love Tasmania - I first moved there in 1976 and have moved back twice since but ended up having to relocate elsewhere just to "make a living".

South Australia is my home state - and it distresses me how the place has been so badly managed - over 40 years.

Tasmania is my dream state - and it distresses me even more to see how it has been mismanaged - over an extended period.

In both cases by the major parties. And they want us to re-elect one of them next Saturday. I can't do it and I suspect that many of my fellow citizens can't either.

What we have here is a failure to communicate and what we need here is a paradigm shift. Sermon over - amen.

No comments: