Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Twitterati

I was really fascinated to observe the enormous volume of Tweets flying around last Saturday. Every 18 to 24 year old on their way to and from a polling booth or an election party used Twitter to express themselves - and let the world know how they felt.

It was just incredible and as I sat there and watched the huge volume of tweets I realised something. None of them were expressing any support for the Liberals. All of these young people were barracking for Labor or the Greens.

As I said at the time - "The planet is warming our boys are dying the right wing commentariat are lying but the Twitterati are still tweeting". Or something similar.

It was only the following day when I revisited the stream that I found one person who was tweeting for the Monk. Everyone else was against him - and often in a most disparaging way.

It seemed certain that he couldn't get anywhere near the Lodge with the number of voters who were against him.

So much for that then. There must have been a huge number of seriously disappointed young people when they saw the news on Sunday.

No comments: