Thursday, September 30, 2010

Numbnut Reality

What is it with Liberal voters?

I understand why the monk and his bunch of ferals are playing silly buggers - they smell an opportunity for power and for them power is everything. Most would sell their children for a chance at pulling the levers. And I can even understand why Murdoch's minions are attempting to create chaos - their business is quickly evaporating and they need to do something to retain some relevance and attention.

But I don't understand why many of the actual Liberal "rusted-ons" are so rabid. This group of vocal numbnuts seem to be completely oblivious to reality.

Every commentator in the nation has promoted their various theories about why the Coalition vote in the recent election was as high as it was. And they range from a dysfunctional media to a two speed economy and even to a "rock star" leader. These theories are a dime a dozen - and most of them are wrong.

The real reason why the Coalition vote was so high is because Australian's are just not properly informed - full stop.

We aren't properly informed because we don't dig deep to find the facts and we don't question the convention and the orthodoxy. And we don't do any of that because by and large we aren't properly educated. We accept most of the rubbish that is dished up by the vested interests and by the spin doctors and puppeteers. And we accept it because we have been conditioned to and because most of us don't know how to question it - or what to question. We are just not in "the loop" anymore.

Believe it or not Virginia, there was a time when I was a Liberal voter. When I was young and stupid and naive and ignorant - I actually believed the ideological crap that was dished up by the Liberals. Free markets and free enterprise and low tax and other blah, blah, blah. And I believed it with a passion.

But then I moved away from the backwater where I lived and got to experience quite a bit more of the real world and saw how things work out there. And in particular I saw first hand the Liberal ideology in action under a variety of Liberal Governments - State and Federal. And that caused me much pain and heartache as I realised that I had been conned.

In fact the single biggest experience that I have had that caused me to totally reject the Liberal ideology was to closely observe the behaviour of the Howard Government. I suspect that little Johnny has done more for the Labor cause than all the Labor leaders put together.

Because the simple truth is that since Howard, the Liberals are no longer Liberals - they are a bunch of right wing conservatives who have taken over the Liberal party and who intend to implement a far right agenda - when and if they ever regain power.

But their "rusted-ons" appear not to have noticed.

No comments: