Friday, November 19, 2010

Volvo Drivers

Contrary to popular belief, I am not picking on 4wd owners. Actually the reverse is true.

One of the characteristics that I have noticed - at least in the suburbs where I live and drive - is that when you become a big 4wd owner then you seem to automatically become a *much* more aggressive driver.

Now I don't understand why this happens but I have noticed that the young, demure, petite females who get behind the wheel of a *monster* truck seem to acquire a totally new persona. They don't give way, they barge into traffic, they back out in front of you and they tailgate even closer. It's like a switch gets flicked.

They think they are invincible. And with their children they look down on you from on high as though you are a mere ant. Now all this is rather intimidating when I am sashaying along in my classic Citroen - and trying to keep it intact and scratch free. It makes me very nervous. I now know why so many American motorists carry handguns in their vehicles Virginia ;-)

Clearly, the acquisition of one of these monster 4wd's triggers some animal instinct that causes bad behaviour. If the State Governments were actually interested in road safety instead of revenue raising then they would be studying this phenomenon and be ready to introduce legislation as the facts emerge.

In the meantime, I am just keeping my head down because the young female 4wd driver is the 21st century equivalent of the Volvo driver.

No comments: