Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Microsoft doesn’t get the cloud

Is it just me or is Microsoft updating Windows 7 a lot lately? Now I understand why they are doing it - because while the thing might be marginally more stable than XP it is still full of bugs and inconsistencies.

But don't take my word for it - Have you tried deleting a directory using Windows Explorer lately?

And for a person like me who works almost exclusively *in the cloud* - it is damn inconvenient and time-wasting to be installing updates, rebooting my laptop, waiting for the config to finish, logging into Windows, waiting for the config to finish again, firing up the browser and then logging back into all my cloud based apps. So 1980's and so unnecessary.

Microsoft doesn’t get the cloud. If they did they would have a lightweight operating system that just works and doesn't need this continual stream of fixes to update previous installed fixes and so on. I suppose if they did get the cloud then they would be Google - or something similar. And they couldn't possibly build an operating system that doesn't involve a thousand engineers, a hundred million dollars and ten years elapsed time because that wouldn’t be the Microsoft way - would it?

Balmer clearly doesn't use Windows 7. Because if he did then he would be yelling at Microsoft engineers to fix the thing and make it more friendly and usable for people like me.

He probably uses a Mac or Android or a paper notepad - all of which do work as expected.

No comments: