Monday, April 4, 2011

City Torpor

I frequently spend a bit of time within our larger cities - catching up with people and projects.

This week I am in Adelaide for a few days and have spent this morning driving around between the Western Suburbs and Glenelg and the City. Oh boy - that's an experience ;-)

The last time I lived in Adelaide was 2007. The reasons I left are;

* There are no jobs of substance.
* Governance in and of the City/State is badly broken.
* Everything revolves around the "old boys" club.
* Traffic management is an unbelievable mess.

But you wouldn't know any of that by observing from afar.

And nothing much has changed. Except traffic management seems to have gotten worse and now the road surfaces are a nightmare - it's not only stressful but it’s become very dangerous.

I wrote about these things previously here and here and here and here and here and here.

I am pretty sure that no-one is on the case because all the local council and the state government and the local newspaper seem interested in is a $500 million redevelopment of the Adelaide oval.

And that royalist windbag Alexander Downer is also spruiking it - so it must be important ;-)

Excuse me but how can you all be concerned with the redevelopment of an oval when important infrastructure is so badly neglected? Does everyone in Adelaide wander around with their eyes permanently closed?

Never mind I will crawl back under my rock in a day or so and all this will just go away.

No comments: