Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My Mobile Office

I have been using an Android phone for about a year now and I love it. It properly integrates all the Google Apps that are part of my life and it just works. I can't imagine moving to anything else - even an Apple iphone. And I am surprised that Nokia and the other manufacturers haven't jumped on the Android bandwagon. Much of the innovation in this space is happening across Asia - even Motorola have seen the light.

And I have even tried using a small Android tablet as a phone - but that didn't work too well. The tablet part was great - the phone part was poor - mainly because it was too big. I ended up damaging it because it was large and unwieldy and wouldn't store away easily in my pocket.

So these days I carry my Android phone and my Windows 7 laptop everywhere and the Google Apps that I need are mostly able to be used across both - quite seamlessly.

But I am getting sick of that and am on the lookout for an Android tablet that will replace my laptop. There is really only one app that I still need Windows for and I seldom use that on the road anyway.

It says an enormous amount about how good Android is that a grumpy old road warrior like me is able to use it effectively for day to day activities. It has come a long way in a very short time and is getting better with each new release.

Now the bigger problem is finding some robust hardware to run it on - If you Google "Android Tablet" you will be confronted with a plethora of links - most are useless at delivering real product knowledge and information. I just want a versatile tablet at a realistic price - how hard is that?

Too hard obviously - and my quest does demonstrate the extent of the "content farm" problem that Google is trying to tackle. I hope they solve it soon.

No comments: