Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Dimwits in charge

Today Standard & Poor’s downgraded South Australia's credit rating to "AA" from "AA+" - whatever that means.  But I suspect that little game ain't over yet Virginia.

That particular state has been in terminal decline for decades - the local polity is so broken that there is just no possibility that a "white knight" will turn up to rescue the place anytime soon.

As in most Australian states the type of person who is attracted to state politics - is not the type of person who is needed to get the place working again.

What’s needed is a vision and a collection of ideas and some comprehensive understanding of how to execute them.  I will return to that in another post.  In the meantime you might like to type the word "innovation" into the search box on my blog and hit Enter - or even read this.

Instead what we have is a political class and a bureaucracy in terminal decline - who's only purpose, has become to chase revenue, obfuscate and annoy hapless citizens.

Here is a small example.  Recently I was cruising along in my classic Citroen on one of the least congested and most remote highways in the state - when a police cruiser clocked me for being over the 110 km/h speed limit.  Fair enough I was doing 124 km/h.  The situation was safe and neither I nor anyone else was in danger - and the fine was $320.00.

In my opinion - the penalty is way out of proportion to the crime.  The thing that gets in my craw are the arbitrary numbers that are involved.  So why isn't the speed limit 112.345 km/h - for example.  And "who" is to say what is safe - and what isn't.  Not the highway patrolman - whose *only* interest was filling out the revenue form and checking paperwork.

It is sickening to realise that we citizens are being screwed silly - all to feed the dumb-arsed political machine.

But my complaint will make no difference - because in a couple of years the incumbents will get turfed out and another set of dimwits will be in charge and there won't be any corporate memory to guide them either.

The only question is "Why do we tolerate it"?

No comments: