Tuesday, September 18, 2012

It's Appalling

I am talking about the Australian Bureau of Statistics website.

Now I like to think that I am a reasonably astute and technically aware individual - I have been working with information technology for nearly forty years - and I have run a couple of statistical analysis software companies.

But I just can't navigate the ABS website.  It is impossible to find any real data at a state, regional or local level.  It is easily the most inconsistent and overloaded website that I have *ever* experienced.

For goodness sake - whoever is in charge - employ some proper design folks and let them determine the layout of your web pages.  Start again - because most of us have no idea what a Catalogue Number even is.

The ABS people might know something about data and statistics - but they clearly know nothing about data presentation and category navigation - let alone user interfaces.

It's one thing to have a high quality national statistics organisation - but it all counts for nothing if you can't disseminate the information.

Lets get this fixed now - for everyone's sake.

No comments: